Back pain - an uncomfortable result of many diseases or strong muscles for other reasons. In most cases, the abnormality occurs in the background of various changes in the structure of the joints of the spine and adjacent muscles, nerve endings, or the skin over the spine. In addition, a symptom that accompanies certain diseases or defects of the internal organs.
The location of the pain can tell a lot about what the internal organs are damaged. So, pain in the lower part of the back show that may have hurt the bones of the spine, a person, the development of intervertebral hernia, the affected nerves, bone marrow, abdominal cavity and small pelvis.
Pain in the upper part of the back is shown in the background of various diseases of the aorta, cancer or benign tumors in the chest, coughing, and also on the background of inflammation of the spine. But much more often, back pain occurs due to large load on the joints and ligaments of the spine.
Back pain is not uncommon for a perfectly healthy person, but several-fold more common in the disease. The main causes associated with problems in the functioning of the body, are the different violations of the integrity of the spine. This group of the pathological causes include the following diseases:
- osteomyelitis, which affects the bone marrow;
- cancerous growths metastasize or spread to the spine, causing pain in the lower back;
- the education of hernias of intervertebral discs;
- the shift of the vertebrae;
- the backbone curves of different degree;
- fractures or other injuries of this organ;
- stenosis of the channels of the spine;
- spondylarthrosis - injury to the cartilage;
- fibromyalgia - chronic muscle pain, accompanied by various unpleasant symptoms. Not only the pain in the upper back, but lower.
The main causes of back pain
Causes for pain that is not associated with diseases of the spine or change its structure:
- pelvic bleeding;
- compression of nerves in the sternum cause back pain when inhaling;
- gynecological disease often characterized by unpleasant sensations on the right side or in the lower back in General;
- the accumulation of large amounts of blood in the retroperitoneal space;
- diseases of the various organs of the small pelvis;
- with aortic dissection;
- peptic ulcer - causes pain in the back between the shoulder blades;
- disorders of the kidneys;
- disorders of the digestive tract and urogenital system, causing pain in the back, on the right or left (in place of the projection of the affected organ);
- disorders of the organs localized in the peritoneal cavity;
- rheumatological disease;
- tumors in the lungs manifest pain when breathing or coughing;
- cardiovascular diseases cause pain in the side, frequently the left;
- the formation of kidney stones, is manifested pain in the lower back;
- appendicitis - with this disease with pain in both sides;
- infectious diseases, accompanied by damage to the lung.
In most cases, these reasons may trigger pain in the back below the waist.
Factors, due to pain, which can occur in a healthy adult or child:
- has a durable impact of the low temperatures;
- the operating conditions under which the person is forced to lift weights for hours;
- the sudden movement;
- with a strong cough (causes for pain in the back above the waist);
- stay in the unpleasant position, perhaps during sleep or during long journeys;
- the flow of the menstrual period;
- injuries or fractures, it is not necessary that the spine. Due to fractures pain from damaged sites often gives the back;
- improper posture;
- increase in body weight;
- age section - problems with the back can occur at any age, but for people of middle and old age such a feature is a characteristic, most frequently because the body can develop chronic diseases, slow down some of the procedures and why pain occurs in the muscles of the back (not be performed for a long time).
We must also take into account back pain during pregnancy. The woman at the time, the feeling of weight in the back and pain in the chest, when coughing, in view of the growing fetus and the pressure that it creates. Due to the shift of the body, the muscles of the lower back and hip strain to support the weight. Because of these reasons, it is a pain in the back.
Depending on the reasons for this uncomfortable feeling can be kept in different places:
- pain in the back above the waist - can be repetitive or chronic nature, is mostly caused due to harmless factors, among which, improper organization of the workplace, or heavy lifting;
- pain in the lumbar, are shown on the background of a shift or a herniated disc. The pain can be so strong that back pain when breathing and coughing, but in a horizontal position all over;
- the pain below the waist can be caused by hypothermia or severe back strain. If this symptom is obvious, when it comes to disease, you should immediately call an ambulance. For this type is characterized by unpleasant sensations on the right side, which often give in the lower limbs;
- pain in shoulder blades - pain in the back, on the left is what happens when a heart attack or psychological problems. Often divided into these unusual places, such as the right arm, the neck or in the groin. On the right side in the formation of stones or other kidney conditions. Pain directly in the two blades is expressed due to tumors or tuberculosis;
- pain in the back, on the right gives a signal to respiratory problems, pneumonia or cancer in the lungs or the bronchioles, as well as the authorities involved in the urine;
- pain in the back, on the left indicates problems with the heart and the respiratory system;
- pain in the lower back - the most common form of discomfort, because due to the large number of diseases, for example, when the catarrhal cough, or under the influence of external factors. Tellingly, if the pain spreads to the side and continued for more than three months, this means that the disorder overflowed in the chronic form;
- pain in the upper part of the back - up because of cancer tumors or metastases in the lungs or the spine.
The classification of back pain
Symptoms of back pain at different locations may vary, depending on the causes. Most often back pain accompanied by such signs:
- disability and motor function of the person, that due to the different intensity of pain and its propagation in different directions, other organs or the extremities;
- frequent urge to emissions of urine, especially if the pain is caused by problems with the kidneys or urinary channel;
- in some cases there is fever;
- sharp decline in body weight;
- nausea and pain in the muscles of the back;
- nausea, ending in vomiting;
- the pressure in the chest, the heart and the lungs;
- the appearance of a sharp pain in lungs when coughing;
- feeling short of breath;
- constant worry;
- reduction of visual acuity and hearing.
Because the main symptom is pain, which you can wear a different character. In some cases, it can be acute and sharp, in others a constant and pressing. Often the pain spreads in different directions, of internal organs or such places where in principle should not be, for example, on the face, neck, lower jaw. In some cases a pain syndrome exacerbated after a meal, or vice versa, stop, can occur during sleep due to improper position, or to complete, when the person, that runs horizontally.
Before starting treatment, the therapist must implement the type of research to determine possible causes for the expression of pain, type and localization. For the doctor has got the full picture on the progress of this discomfort, the patient needs:
- to provide complete information about your symptoms that accompany the pain in the back, when they first appear and how intense;
- to Express the assumptions that can lead to such a feeling, such as menstruation, uncomfortable posture for sleep or body position during work, coughing or sudden movements, and to allow the professional see the full list of all the diseases of the patient in life;
- tell where the pain occurs, and what organs or body used. It is very important to determine the diagnosis, because different localization of the pain can indicate a variety of diseases;
- pass a General review, in which the doctor performs palpation of the spine;
- tests of blood and urine for the determination of a pathological process or disease of the kidney;
- to perform x-rays to detect abnormalities in the structure of the spine, thorax and lungs;
- go CT and MRI examinations for the detection of any disease of internal organs;
- examine the muscle with electromyography;
- for studies of bone with the use of injected contrast agent. Where it will accumulate, and there is a violation;
- need to be examined to determine the bone density;
- in addition, consult with such specialists as a neurologist, rheumatologist, orthopedist and vertebrologist.
After receiving all test results, the doctor will prescribe a specific treatment for an individual patient.
If the pain is unbearable, before arrival of doctors it is necessary to implement measures for first aid:
- use cold compression for the back area, where localized pain;
- to ensure total immobility, to avoid further damage. The victim must take the most comfortable position of the body;
- to take pain medication;
- completely eliminate any load.
After arrival in the hospital treatment, based on treatment of the basic disease, which can consist of:
- anti-inflammatory drugs;
- warming ointments;
- drugs that eliminate spasm with severe pain in the lower back, because this type of pain is most common in patients;
- medications that increase the production of the component of the cartilage tissue;
- physiotherapeutic treatment (heating);
- therapeutic massage;
- manual therapy techniques, but use them only as directed by your medical doctor due to the improper implementation of such treatment is likely to aggravate the situation;
- acupuncture - similar to the previous paragraph is used with the permission of the doctor;
- medical intervention - is only in some cases, such as Oncology or the need for the establishment of the intervertebral prosthesis;
- wearing a special corset, which will reduce the load on the spine and lower back.
Preventive methods to avoid the occurrence of back pain are:
- timely treatment of serious diseases of the spine, lungs, kidneys and abdominal organs;
- rejection of heavy physical exertion and hypothermia of the body, especially in pregnant women;
- the observance of the correct posture during work and study;
- providing a comfortable environment for sleep;
- adjustment overweight;
- limit sudden movements of the back;
- preventive examinations in the clinic for early detection of diseases, that cause back pain.