Pain in neck after sleeping is a symptoms of dysfunction in the nervous tissue, muscle and bone structure. The reason may be an uncomfortable sleeping position, back pain, problems with the blood supply and infection. Treatment in these cases is prescribed by a doctor, but first you need to find the cause for the discomfort.
The cause of the pain
A pain in the neck in the morning arise due to the following factors:
- Improper posture during the night. It is the most common prerequisite for the emergence of pain in the morning. So sleep was uncomfortable, unnatural, and the patient is lying, broke blood circulation. The character of the pain: cramping, dull.
- The inflammatory process. When the inflammation and the swelling of the muscle tissue effect on nerve endings, causing pain. But not always suffer from sore muscles, cause inflammation of the nerves.
- Infection. Disease infectious nature also can bring about discomfort and pain. In this case, you must properly diagnose the disease and eliminate its source for use of the medicines prescribed by the doctor.
- Oncology. A prerequisite for the occurrence of pain can be a malignant neoplasm in the cervical spine of the patient. With the growth of the tumor puts pressure on the soft tissue, nerve endings. All of this leads to pain.
- If it is a pain in the neck when sleeping, the cause often problems with the blood circulation. Also cause pain. Symptoms are usually associated with abnormalities of the nervous system. Pain in this case is to sell not only in the cervical region and affects the head, shoulder girdle, gives on your feet. Rarely a vessel under the influence of pressure on the blood vessels it is a violation of blood flow in the neck. Then in the morning the patient is swollen muscles, increasing their tension and tone.
All causes of pain of the cervical spine are divided into internal and external factors. But, if pain occurs intermittently and recurs, then the patient should consult the doctor for diagnosis and inspection.
Due to the fact that the tenderness of the cervical occur due to various reasons, doctors use a variety of methods of treatment.
To find out why the pain in the neck when sleeping, it is important to consult a doctor, because only with the help of professionals, you can identify the cause of disease and treating the disease. The patient undergoes the necessary tests (blood, imaging, etc). After the diagnosis, when you need to go to treatment.
- If the patient has pathology of the spine, the treatment of the medicine or the study of physiotherapy. Medicines used to treat, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. They remove the swelling of the soft tissues, eliminates pain in the neck. As physical therapy is used for massage, physical therapy, chiropractic, acupuncture treatment. Improves blood circulation and restores metabolic processes.
- In various diseases of the spine and help the individual systems of gymnastics developed by the instructor in the physical therapy or the doctor.
- In Oncology, doctors use medication to relieve the pain. After this treatment, doing chemotherapy or surgery. If the disease doctor found the cancer at an early stage, when surgery and chemotherapy less probability of development of metastases in the body.
- In the absence of sickness and disease we need to be aware of the size and stiffness of the pillow. Sleeping on the pillow should be comfortable, should not cause pain in the cervical region in the morning. The level of the spine and head should be the same. The spine or head should not droop, that unnatural position, or to bend. If the pillow is picked up incorrectly, perejimautsa the arteries and the veins, which causes a pinch of the vessel, causing swelling. Broken blood circulation, all of this leads to diseases of the spine.
What to do if you get pain? If you do not have diseases and serious chronic diseases, it is possible to use this method for quick relief when the pain arising in the morning.
- Don't forget that the weight of your head about 9 pounds, so that the muscles of the neck, it is important to relax. In his spare time, should be more comfortable to lie down on the pillow.
- Ice packs can be used to eliminate the pain. Important: the use of ice on the affected areas sometimes causes the deterioration of the problems. If it hurts stronger and stronger, the ice is removed.
- The neck can be a little self-massage without sudden movements.
- On warm, moist towels. A towel heated in a microwave oven. This procedure improves blood flow in the tissue. The highest efficiency compressed, when the pain and spasms. You cannot use this method with increasing temperature. If worse, the compress is removed.
- For rapid relief of pain, use aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen. How to take medications, written instructions for use.
- Stretch the neck muscles, before doing this take a hot shower or a warm cloth in a warm towel.
Set of exercises
- If it starts to hurt the neck after a NAP, sitting on a chair, you need to straighten your back, straighten your shoulders and keep your head straight. The need to strain their muscles of the neck, through the resistance to tilt the head forward, backward and sideways. To keep the voltage of 6-7 seconds on the inhale, hold your breath and relax for 10 seconds. Repeat the exercise 5-6 times.
- Sitting on a chair, breath and push back on his head with his hands. You need to stretch the muscles so, that is the resistance. The leader should not fall. Stay in this position for 7 seconds. Exhale, relax. Exercise is repeated 5 times.
- Inhale, pressing hands on his head, so that the resistance, relax, rest 7-10 seconds. Changing the direction of the pressure. Repeat five times on each side.
- Running tilts forward and back, pressing the back of the head, pressing his chin to his chest. Then put your hand on the neck and through the resistor to tilt your head back. Up to 5 pivots back and forth 5 times. Between the slopes relax for 10 seconds.
- Inhale and turn your head to the left side, you will have to strain their muscles. Keep your eye on the direction of rotation. Breathe out and relax for eight seconds. Turn the head to each side 5 times.
- He laid his head on his chest, we need to relax the muscles of the neck. Doing the head motion as a pendulum, gradually lowering the head, hold the, until the clavicula. Number of exercises: 8-10.
- Relax and tilt your neck. Do the movement, like the pendulum, gently hold out your head on your shoulders. Repeat 8-10 times.
- Drop the shoulders, breathe in and pull the top upwards, stretching the neck. That the head turns to the left and right side. Do the stretches 5-6 times.