Osteochondrosis (bone - osteon, the cartilage chondros, gr.)– the degenerative changes in the cartilaginous tissue of the intervertebral disc, which is the start to an eating disorder, the impairment of the metabolic processes and causes aging of the tissue, and the destruction of the disc cartilage and the intervertebral joints.
The diagnosis and treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is a complex process, as it is the spine is the most mobile, and the muscles that support the vertebrae, weakest, and most difficult to exercise. The second problem lies in the fact that it is a brace for the cervix, in contrast with the corsets and bandages for the other parts of your spine to wear and tear is hard enough as it is not possible to hide under clothing.
What causes pain in the low back
Causes for degenerative disc disease of the cervical diverse – from a hereditary predisposition to the constant high stress levels. In the modern world, osteochondrosis quite young, and its symptoms, begin to appear in people 20 years of age, and sometimes younger.
The main causes of the disease are as follows:
- The static overload is when a person is forced, for long periods of time, it is a single point of view. A permanent seat on the computer chair or driving a car, it is one of the main causes of degenerative disc disease, including of the cervix;
- Dynamic stretching, sudden movements, it turns out, incorrectly calculated loads during sports. Frequent changes in body position, lifting and moving of heavy loads;
- Improper posture while sitting at a Desk or standing wearing a backpack on one shoulder;
- A disc injury, a durable myositis of the cervical muscles.
The main causes of the disease have been added to the additional factors, such as hypothermia, impact of certain chemical substances in the air, and food, the failure of food and rest, excessive weight, genetic predisposition,venous pathology of the joints, hormonal disorders. All of these factors by themselves can hardly become a cause of osteoarthritis, but a combination of the major reasons for the increased risk of its occurrence.
How to diagnose the disease
Signs of osteochondrosis of the cervical so obvious that any person will easily be able to identify:
- The problem you encounter when you try to turn your head. Depending on the localization and the intensity of the infringement, the rotation angle can be different – sometimes a person is absolutely not able to turn his head, and, at times, I felt only minor pain;
- The cervical muscles are in constant tension, and this is starting to hurt the whole of the shoulder girdle. Any attempt to straighten your shoulders and relax your neck muscles accompanied by pain;
- The unpleasant feel of the hand on the stretch from your shoulder to your wrist. Numbness spreads through the outer part of the hand, and it can be so strong that we have to further stretch out the hand;
- Cutting a sharp pain accompanied by a tingling sensation;
- Even a slight pressure on the arm or hand increased the pain. In the acute phase, the pain may be so strong that the person feels that it is exceedingly difficult, and even draped across the shoulders of a coat;
Any sudden movement, sneezing, coughing, head turning, especially to the healthy side of the neck, the pain is worse.
The diagnosis of the disease
This is the most simple signs of osteoarthritis that can be observed and identified each man by himself.
In fact, the symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae varied. Some of them are so similar to the symptoms of diseases of the heart and vascular disease, and degenerative disc diseases of the thoracic vertebrae, which are separated by them can only be a specialist in:
- Sometimes, the patient may feel numbness in the limbs, limited mobility;
- When the compressed vertebral artery can occur in migraines, which are associated with the restriction of the flow of blood to the tissues of the brain. With the further development of osteochondrosis headaches, it can become permanent;
- The nature of the headaches can be very variable, but most often they occur in the occipital part, and is moved in the temporal-parietal part of it. After bending and turning of the head, and the pain intensified, and when too much of the consciousness;
- Sometimes there is pressure, long-term pain in the heart region.
All of these symptoms are not specific and are only for cervical degenerative disc disease, so as to correctly determine the location of the pathology can only be a specialist. In the context of diagnosis is the use of instrumental methods:
- Magnetic resonance imaging;
- Fluoroscopic studies
- Computed tomography;
- An ultrasound of the.
These and other techniques, which allow the doctor to properly determine the vertebra that is affected, which is a localized pathology, and in accordance with the intensity of the problems and determine the appropriate treatment.
Basic principles for the treatment of
How to treat osteochondrosis of the cervical spine could only be determined by your doctor. Self-healing in the majority of cases do not lead to the desired result to be achieved, and only exacerbates the problem.
Treatment of osteoarthritis consists of two phases:
- Drug therapy for the relief of the inflammation and eliminate the pain. Essential drugs – nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and pain relievers which can be taken orally and may be administered intramuscularly. The second method of administration, it is recommended that, as a drug that acts more rapidly and is not affected by the digestive tract. At the hospital, the patient can perform the process of electrophoresis, which contributes to the rapid penetration of the active ingredients, which is the site of an infection;
- Physiotherapy, which started in the hold, after the removal of the reduction of the inflammation and the pain.
The main physiotherapeutic methods of treatment of cervical degenerative disc diseases include the following:
- Massage, which should only be done by a professional. Don't trust Amateurs, such as inappropriate pressure or sudden movements may exacerbate the problem. To increase the effect, rather than the traditional massage oils that you can use an anti-inflammatory and analgesic ointment, the active ingredient, which is a massage is easier to penetrate through the skin barrier and have a direct effect on inflammation and aches and pains. The minimum number of sessions is 10, and, if necessary, may be increased;
- Electrophoresis with the use of anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs.
- The UHF, laser therapy, and treatment with a magnetic field.
All of these procedures can be performed in a hospital, and some of them are at home with the use of a special portable device to:
- Physiotherapy, which is made up of a specially selected set of exercises. The implementation uses a variety of equipment, classes, to be held under the supervision of a specialist. An effective method for the treatment of degenerative disc disease of the cervical exercises on the wooden panel, which is equipped with movable handles at two different levels, and with the help of a loop Glisson. Do not perform these exercises on your own, as any careless movement can lead to the degradation of the;
- Use special kinesiology tape that is stuck to the course of the muscle fibers in the area of the pain. She can take some of the load themselves, which is essential to speed up the recovery process of the vertebra, and the pain is reduced;
- At the time of the treatment and further prevention experts recommend the use of a special neck collar to, for example, the tyres of the Trench. These products assume some of the burden, the relief of muscle tension, speeds up the process of recovery. For those who are constantly in a monotonous posture, just to the collar, it is advisable to wear it every day for a 1⁄2 - to 1 hour to make the neck muscles to relax.
How to help yourself
After the illness, patients are often ask ourselves the question, what is to be done to prevent a recurrence or aggravation of the disease.
The main recommendations are as follows:
- It is necessary to carry out a proper way of life – Walking, while working, for the continuous provision of physical 5 minutes.
- In a constant static state, it needs to be replaced from time to time constitute and be sure to be at least 1 hour a day to wear a neck brace for the relief of the neck muscles, and the rest;
- 1-2 times a year to visit the masseur for carrying out of prophylactic;
- Sports. To the best of the sport of off-and the strengthening of the muscles – swimming;
- At the first signs of cervical osteochondrosis, it is necessary to contact the doctor who will perform an examination and prescribe an appropriate treatment.